Creating a new location
To create a new location, follow these steps.
- Click the New Location tab at the top of the page.
- Type the name of the city into the blank field next to 'City.' As you add new cities, it is a good idea to be consistent about whether you use the city’s English name or the city’s name in the local language (for example, 'Florence’ versus 'Firenze’). Most organizations have chosen to use the English name of major cities to facilitate applicant searching.
- Use the drop-down list boxes to select the country and region.
- If the country or region required is not listed, select 'Other (not listed)' and enter the appropriate name.
- Click the link 'Click here to lookup latitude and longitude.' This will populate the latitude and longitude for this location so that a pin will appear in the correct spot when applicants perform a map search. If the latitude and longitude information is not found, try changing the name of the city (for instance, 'Seville’ could be listed as 'Sevilla’). If the latitude and longitude still do not populate automatically, you must search for that information elsewhere and enter it manually.
- Latitude and longitude information is optional. If it is not entered, a pin will not appear on the map search.
- Click Save.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'Fetch Lat/Long Info' button.
- A dialog box appears asking you to confirm the action. Click 'OK.'
- Another dialog box appears telling you how many locations were updated with the requested information.
- Any latitude and longitude information that is not found by the 'Fetch' feature will need to be entered manually.
Editing a location
To edit a location, follow these steps:
- Click the pencil icon located to the right of the location that you want to edit.
- Make the necessary updates.
- Click 'Update.'
To delete a location, follow these steps:
- Click the red 'X' icon located to the right of the location you wish to delete. A dialog box appears asking you to confirm the action.
- Click 'OK' to proceed or 'Cancel' to ignore the action.
Please note that locations are "de-normalized" when they get assigned to programs. This means that you are creating a copy of the location name in the program rather than a reference to the item in your locations list. This means that when you edit/delete a location in Settings > Locations, the changes do not cascade out to any of the programs and/or applications that have used that location.