The program template functionality allows an administrator to build the basic structure of a program once and save it for use with every new program assigned to a specific program group. These templates are for use with the Program Wizard functionality.
This article covers the following topics related to Program Templates:
- The Program Templates Page
- Creating Program Templates
- Using Program Templates
- Deleting Program Templates
An administrator will need to be assigned the “Templates” permission under "Program Admin" in order to create and edit program templates. Any administrator with permission to build programs in the Program Wizard will be able to use saved program templates.
Important Note: From the Admin Console, an admin with the required "Program Admin: Templates" permission can access program templates. However, they will also need the following permission to view the "Programs" section to get started with templates:
- Program Admin: Program Searching and Listing
The Program Templates Page
Your site’s list of existing program templates can be accessed by navigating to Admin Console > Templates and clicking on the "Programs" tab. Here a display will list the following information organized into columns:
- Name: This is the name assigned to the template.
- Type: This is the associated program type, such as Outgoing or Incoming.
- Assigned Groups: Any assigned program group(s) will be displayed here. Example: Faculty-led programs.
- Actions: Use the edit icon to make changes to an existing template. Click on the double sheets icon to copy an existing program template to use as a basis for a new template, which will be titled "Copy of [Existing Template]". You can edit the title, and the template will be pre-populated with the information that was entered into the existing template from which the new template was copied.
- Items Per Page: The page will display ten (10) templates by default. You can modify this setting to display up to one hundred (100) items using the “Items per page” drop-down menu located at the top right of the page.
Creating Program Templates
A new template can be created by clicking the plus (+) icon at the bottom right of the templates list in the "Programs" tab. This action brings you to a version of Program Wizard modified for templates rather than an individual program.
Below is a brief explanation of each step. Refer to the Using the Program Wizard article for full details of this feature.
Step 1: Configuration
From the "Configuration" page, take the following actions:
- Assign the template a name. This will be the displayed name of your template and must be unique to the site.
- Select a program type.
- Choose which types of applicants can apply.
- Determine if the home institution is required.
- Enable exchanges for the associated programs if applicable.
- Set program terms.
Step 2: Details & Costs
The "Details" page allows you to set values for the public search fields and internal parameter fields for programs created with this template. This list is populated by your site’s list of program parameters set in Settings > Program Params.
Step 3: Brochure
The "Brochure" page lets you create default brochure content that will be deployed to any program set to use this template.
Step 4: Application Lifecycle
The Application Lifecycle page allows you to set application instructions for each phase of the program and enable and configure recommendations and the submit button functionality for the pre- and post-decision phases.
Step 5: Groups
The "Groups" page allows you to choose the program group(s) to which this template should apply. This drop-down menu will be populated with your site’s program groups created in Programs > Manage Groups. Once saved, this program template will automatically be applied to any new program assigned to a chosen program group on the "Configuration" page of the Program Wizard (more below).
Important note: Only one program template can be assigned to a program group. If you choose to assign a new template to a program group, it will replace the existing template assigned to that group (see below for more information about assigning program templates after their creation). However, the same template can be used for any number of program groups.
Clicking the “Save” button at the bottom of the page will preserve your changes (given that all required fields have been completed).
A program template's content is applied in full as the default content for a new program that is created from the template or when a program is assigned to a program group that uses a template. Note, however, that when a template is applied from a program's "Brochure" tab, this action will only apply the template's brochure content.
Program templates can be applied to new programs when navigating to Admin Console > Create New Program > Program Wizard. From the "Group" drop-down menu, select a program group. If a template has been assigned to this group, then the full content (including settings and brochure content) for the program will automatically populate based on the settings configured for that template. A message will appear below the "Group" menu confirming that you that the selected program group uses a program template.
After the full template content has been populated in Program Wizard, you can make additional edits to the program settings for this specific program. Any program-level edits you make will overwrite the data populated by the template and will not be reset if you switch the program to another template.
You can update an existing program to use a template’s content with the following steps:
1. Navigate to the "Configuration" page in Program Wizard for the existing program.
2. From the "Group" drop-down menu, select the program group to which you now want the existing program to be assigned. If this program group is using a template, then a modal will appear asking you to confirm how you'd like to proceed as follows:
- Import Template: This action will assign the program to the desired program group and overwrite all existing data.
- Do Not Import Template: This action will assign the program to the desired program group without importing any of the data from the template.
- Cancel: Use this if you do not wish to proceed with assigning the program to the desired program group.
From the "Brochure" tab of an existing program in Program Wizard, you have the option to apply a template's brochure content. From the "Select a Template" drop-down menu, choose your desired template. Then click "Apply Template", noting that this action will overwrite any existing brochure content for this program, replacing it with the applied template's brochure content. This action does not overwrite any other content or settings in the existing program.
Assigning Templates to Program Groups
The Programs > Manage Groups page displays a column for program templates. This column will show which, if any, program template has been assigned to this program group. Clicking the edit pencil on this page will allow you to change which template is assigned to the group.
When creating a new program group, a "Program Template" drop-down menu allows you the option of assigning an existing template to the new program group.
Deleting Program Templates
Program templates are treated the same way as a regular program in terms of how they are removed from your site. Program templates, once created, must be removed through Maintenance > Scrub Program by a user with Maintenance permissions. Because of this, it is recommended that the program templates permission be given only to the admins for which it is necessary.
Note: Scrubbing a program template will not affect existing programs created using the template nor will it affect any applications for those programs.
Any program group set to use the template will default back to having no template for new programs.