The Modern Login is a sophisticated login and user registration portal that creates a compelling entrance into all that awaits for your applicants in Terra Dotta.
This Terra Dotta login system gives the applicant user the ability to access your site.
This article discusses the following topics related to the Modern Login:
- Access, Permissions & Settings
- Understanding the Modern Login Process
- Creating a New User Account
- Resetting a Password
- Logging In
- Session Timeout
- Frequently Asked Questions
- It is not required that the Applicant Experience be enabled in order to use the Modern Login.
- By enabling both the Applicant Experience and the Modern Login, an applicant will experience the updated "modern" interface as they move from page to page in your Terra Dotta site. One Step Forms will still continue to appear using the classic interface.
- When "Gender" and "Date of Birth" are enabled as core data requirements (Settings > System Features > Applicants), they now appear in the Required Information modal on the Applicant Home Page and Application Page when the Applicant Experience is enabled (regardless of whether or not the Modern Login is enabled).
- If your institution uses a Single-Sign On (SSO) authentication, note that this is supported with the Modern Login. After enabling the Modern Login, the system would provide two options for users: one for applicants on campus logging in through your SSO (ex: CAS) and another for external users to access the Modern Login. If you only have an SSO, then the Modern Login will route applicants accordingly.
To access the Modern Login page, click the "Login/Register" link at the top right corner of the home page.
By default, the Modern Login page will use your site's primary color as the background color.
To access a unique listing of Modern Login feature settings and configuration options, navigate to Settings > System Features > Interface Settings. Upload desired images, customize instructions, and update button labels without having to remember text interface numbers for the options below:
- Modern Applicant Experience Login
- This setting is what activates the Modern Login for use on your site.
- By default, this setting will be deactivated in client production sites for the Terra Dotta Study Abroad 20.2. release. This setting will be activated by default in client sandbox sites.
- Auto-Redirect to Remote SCL Login (Secure Campus Login)
- Enable this option if you want to automatically bypass the Modern Login page and instead redirect users to your institution's remote SCL login.
- This setting is recommended if you only want your users to be using your SCL and not your Terra Dotta login.
- Login Form Logo Image
- The maximum image width is 200px. Images larger than this will be resized.
- Login Form Background Image
- Consider an image size of 1920x1080 (i.e. standard desktop resolution).
- Gender Options Lookup Table
- Select a lookup table for use with the Custom Gender Lookup Table feature.
- Login Form Instructions
- Use this option to communicate with site users about how they should be navigating your site's login experience.
- New User Registration Form Instructions
- Password Reset Instructions
- SCL Login Button Label
- Non-SCL Login Button Label
The Modern Login system for Terra Dotta enables two types of applicant users to access your site:
- An applicant who logs in using university login credentials. (Internal user)
- The applicant is registered at your institution, and your site is integrated with your Student Information System (SIS).
- An applicant who needs to create a user account. (External user)
- The applicant is not registered at your institution, or your site is not integrated.
An applicant is required to log into the site in order to perform the following tasks:
- Submit a program application.
- Request information about a program.
- Check the status of a program application.
Important Note: In order for the "Create Account" link to appear on the main login form without the applicant first needing to take an action, such as clicking "Apply Now" for a program, the "Site Registration Option" needs to be enabled.
This setting can be enabled under Settings > System Features > Features in the "Applicant Profiles" section.
If you do not want the "Create Account" link to appear on the main login form without the applicant first needing to take an action, such as attempting to apply to a program, then you should disable the "Site Registration" option.
If your site accepts external applicants, then the login form must provide an option to create an account when that external applicant attempts to apply to a program. Consider using the "Login Form Instructions" option to clarify to internal applicants that they do not need to create an account.
To create a new user account, follow these steps:
1) From the Modern Login, click the "Create Account" link. This will direct you to the User Registration Form.
2) Complete the User Registration Form.
This form is comprised of the following elements:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number (optional)
- Password Confirmation
Important Note: The password created in this step is the password that the account user will use. There is no additional step requiring a password reset.
Two optional fields may also appear on the registration form:
- Home Institution
- This keyword search field only appears on the registration form if the core field of "Home Institution" has been enabled under Settings > System Features > Applicants. Afterwards, this field remains optional to external applicants unless the program to which they are attempting to apply requires a home institution. This configuration is made by enabling "Home Institution Required" on the "Configuration" tab of the respective program in Program Wizard.
- Partner Institution
- If the program has partner institutions, this box will appear.
3) After all information has been entered, click the "Register" link. This will direct you to a page where you will be asked to enter required information.
4) From the required information page, a user will be asked to input the following:
- Any applicant parameters that are configured as "Required for Profile" under Settings > Applicant Parameters.
- Required core data requirements that have been enabled under Settings > System Features > Applicant Data Options.
- GDPR if enabled under Settings > System Features > Administrative > Consent.
5) After responses are entered, the applicant clicks "Update". This action then directs them to a program listing where they can select their desired program.
6) After locating a program and clicking "Apply Now", a "Program Options" display will appear from which the applicant will select their desired app cycle.
Click "Continue" to proceed.
Important Note: After clicking "Apply Now" for a program that allows the user to enter itinerary information (e.g. Risk Management), an applicant will be able to enter this information as well before creating their application.
See the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of this article for more account creation questions.
If an applicant forgets their password, they should follow these steps:
1) From the User Login Form, click on the Forgot your Password?" link. This directs you to a Password Reset form.
2) From the password reset form, enter in your email address and click "Submit".
A password reset email will be sent to the email address provided.
Important Note: If a user experiences difficulty during the login process, a "Login Support Request Form" does not appear in the Modern Login. Instead, offices are encouraged to make use of the following option:
- Use the Login Form Instructions field in Setting > System Settings > Interface Settings to make note of an email address for your users to use should they experience difficulty logging in. This field does support HTML.
Follow these steps to log in using the Modern Login:
1) From the login form, select the portal account option if your site is using an SCL.
For sites not using an SCL, an applicant won't see the login button options. Instead, they will simply see the user login form.
2) From the user login form, enter the applicable username and password. Then click "Login".
Terra Dotta enforces a 60-minute session timeout on every page loaded. When a page is five minutes from expiring the session, a warning modal will appear in the middle of the page to alert the site user of this timeout. A countdown to the session expiration is provided as well as a button with which the site user can renew the 60-minute counter for that page.
If a site user does not click the button to renew the session by the end of the countdown, they will be logged out and returned to the site home page.
Note that this 60-minute counter is specific to each tab involved in the secure session. If a site user is working in multiple tabs, then each tab will have its own countdown associated with that tab. If one of the countdowns results in a session expiring, then all open tabs are logged out from that session.
Site Registration is not enabled on our site, and we are using the Modern Login. What should we expect to happen when an external applicant attempts to apply to a program that is for internal applicants only?
After an external applicant attempts to apply to a program that is for internal applicants only from the program's brochure, they will be brought to the user login page where the "Create Account" button will appear. The system will allow the applicant to create an account; however, the applicant will be blocked from applying to the program immediately afterwards. After clicking "Register" to complete the account creation process, a modal (see image) will appear informing the applicant that they are not eligible to apply.