- This article covers the admin-specific features for the AlertTraveler® mobile app. See "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App" for functions available to both travelers and admins, as well as the "AlertTraveler®: Overview" for a list of all related articles and videos.
- This article is for the AlertTraveler® mobile app version released in January 2022. For support for the previous version of the app, see "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App (Legacy Version)".
This article details usage of the AlertTraveler® mobile app with the following topics:
- Safety Map
- Safety Feed
View alerts, send check-in requests and more through the all new admin functionality in the AlertTraveler® mobile app! One app meets administrator and traveler needs alike, eliminating the need for administrators to switch between platforms. Now you can meet all duty of care obligations from any location at any time.
In order to access the admin functionality within the app, administrators must have the specific permission enabled.
- For Terra Dotta Study Abroad clients with AlertTraveler® admins must have the "Admin access for the AlertTraveler® mobile app" permission enabled for their user.
- For Travel Registry clients, admins must be in the "Admin app" permission group.
Group leaders and Program Directors are able to view and communicate with their set of travelers when using the AlertTraveler® app. To access the admin view of the app if you already have used it as a traveler, after permissions have been granted, simply fully close out of the app and reopen it.
To access the app for the very first time, generate the AlertTraveler® activation password, available on your admin home, and use that password to activate the app.
- Study Abroad: From your Admin Home, generate the AlertTraveler® activation password on the "Impacted Traveler Notifications" widget (below) and use that password to activate the app. If you access the widget from your mobile browser, you'll also see a "LOGIN TO ALERTTRAVELER" button, which will automatically activate the app if it has already been installed on your device.
- Travel Registry: Login credentials for AlertTraveler® are located in the profile page on both the public and admin sites.
- Public Site: Select "Profile" from the hamburger menu.
- Admin Site: From the settings menu in the upper right corner, select "Profile".
By default, the app opens to the Safety Map page. Any Check-In Requests or Help Requests will be marked by a banner on the map. Tapping on a Check-in Request banner will take the user to the Safety Feed. Tapping on a Help Request banner will take the user to the hamburger menu > Travelers > List page.
For more information on the Safety Map functionality for travelers, see "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App".
A hamburger menu (≡) on the top left of the Safety Map screen shows an additional option for admin users: Travelers. On the Travelers page, admins can view current travelers, including whether they currently need assistance, as either a List View or a Map View.
From the List View, admins can see can see all current travelers from their institution, with any travelers who have active Help Requests sorted to the top and marked with a red triangle.
- A - Use the magnifying glass to filter the travelers list. (Note: Travelers who have requested help will always display on this list, even when filtering.)
- B - Toggle between the Map View and the List View
- C - A vertically scrolling list of travelers who are currently traveling, and when they have most recently checked in
- D - Any travelers who have requested help will be marked with a red triangle
- E - The three dot menu offers the options:
- Send Activation Email - This email will send to the selected traveler even if they have previously activated their app.
- Call Traveler - This will prompt your phone to attempt to call the number listed on the traveler's profile
- Set Status - This will open a page allowing the safety status of the traveler to be changed
Tapping on the name of a traveler opens the admin view of their profile page, which shows the user's most recent Geo Location (based on GPS) and the Itinerary Location.
If a traveler has an active Help Request, then the page will include a red "Help Requested" badge. Tapping on this badge will open more details about the most recent Help Request received from the traveler. On that page, admins can use the Contact button to open the most recent Message conversation with the traveler, or to mark the traveler as safe by using the "Mark as Solved" button (note: this will resolve all open Help Requests for this traveler).
From the Travelers > map view, admins can see can see all current travelers from their institution. Filters applied to the list view will also apply on the map view, making it easy to locate a traveler and the view them on the map view. Tap on the traveler's initials centers the map on their location. Tapping on their circle from the map opens their profile page.
Travelers show as circles on the top of the page, a horizontally scrolling list of travelers who are currently traveling. Any travelers who have requested help will be marked with a red circle around their photo. The toggle can be used to switch between the Map View and the List View.
The Safety Feed can be viewed in either traveler or admin mode using the toggle in the center left of the screen. In the admin mode, users can:
- View all alerts impacting travelers, including the number of impacted travelers and linked to specific lists of travelers
- Add a Check-in Request to an Alert
- Create an Institutional Alert
The admin view of the Safety Feed defaults to showing all alerts that have impacted travelers, sorted by end date of the alert. The filter icon in the middle right of the page can be used to change or apply additional filters, including alert type, date, severity, campus (if applicable), severity, and categories.
For more on traveler functionality for this page, see "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App".
In the admin view of the Safety Feed page, admins can tap on the "Send Check in" button to:
- View details of the alert
- View which travelers are impacted by an alert
- Send an alert
- A - Create an Institution Alert
- B - View Alerts
- C - View Incidents
- D - Key for Alert Levels, which can be shown or hidden by tapping the caret icon (in the above screenshot, the key is hidden)
- E - Toggle between viewing the student and admin views
- F - Filters
- G - Corner marker indicating the level of the alert
- H - Alert Details
- I - Send Check in button
- J - Quick overview of the status of travelers who have been asked to check in (Safe, No Response, Help, or Needs Review)
- K - View check in status
From an Alert card, admins can send a Check-in Request to travelers who have been impacted. Simply tap the "Send Check-In" button to view the details of the Alert, which travelers are impacted, and to enter details for a Check-in Request.
Tapping on the "View # impacted travelers" button brings up a list of the travelers who were impacted.
Returning to the previous page, the admin can choose a template to use to create the check-in request (by clicking the "Select Check-In template"). If a template is not chosen, the message of the check-in request is written in the "Detail" section. Below the template selection button is the alert headline, the body, and send text to travelers via SMS. Once the request is ready to be sent, tap "Send Check In".
Note: "Campus" is only available for Travel Registry clients that have Multi Campus enabled.
After sending a check-in request, tapping on the "view check in status" button opens a list of travelers. Those who have responded that they need help are marked with a red triangle, those who are safe with a green check mark, those who have not responded with a yellow caution circle, and those who responded by SMS with text that needs review with a grey speech bubble. (For more on response statuses, see AlertTraveler®: Impacted Travelers.)
Tapping on a traveler brings up the Status detail page, which gives more information about the status, including a link to the traveler profile, the Alert card, the current status, and the options to send a reminder and change the traveler's status.
An admin can create an institutional alert by tapping the "+" icon on the top of the Safety Feed page. Here the admin can choose between creating an alert for a specific location or for specific traveler(s).
Tapping the "For Location" option populates the configuration page to create and send the alert.
If using a Multi Campus setup, a field for Account will appear. Select the desired desired group of travelers by choosing the Account(s) to include (if available), Alert Type, Severity, the appropriate location(s), and the start and end dates for the alert. By default, the alert is active for 3 days from the creation date but this date range can be edited as appropriate. Add text to describe the Alert. Once the configuration is complete, tap "Create Alert" for it to be sent to the appropriate traveler(s).
Tapping the "For Travelers" option populates the configuration page to create and send the alert.
If using a Multi Campus setup, a field for Account will appear. Select the desired desired group of travelers by choosing the Account(s) to include (if available), Alert Type, Severity, the appropriate traveler(s), and the start and end dates for the alert. By default, the alert is active for 3 days from the creation date but this date range can be edited as appropriate. Add text to describe the Alert. Once the configuration is complete, tap "Create Alert" for it to be sent to the appropriate traveler(s).
The Messages tab shows all Help Requests from travelers, either who have responded to a check-in request to indicate that they need help or by initiating a Help Request from the Messages page (if enabled, see "Enabling Help Requests" below). This page also makes it easy for admins to view and correspond with all travelers that have submitted a Help Request right from their mobile device.
To enable and manage the Messages feature, visit AlertTraveler > Settings > Admin tab on the administrative site. If this optional feature is disabled, the Messages tab will not appear to AlertTraveler® app users from your institution. (See "AlertTraveler®: Settings" for more on enabling the Help Request Button and the related Assistance Reminders feature.)
Each conversation on the Messages page will be labeled with one of three statuses:
- Started - A Help Request has been initiated, but has not yet been responded to by an admin frm the institution.
- In Process - An admin has responded but the status of the traveler remains as "Needs Help".
- Resolved - The traveler's status has been changed to "Safe", either by the traveler editing their response from the Safety Feed or by manually by an Admin.
The magnifying glass at the top of the page allows for searching for specific travelers. Help Request messages can be viewed in two views: the Cases List and the Requesters List.
Cases List - This view shows all cases, past and present, sorted in order of Started, In Process, and Resolved.
Requesters List - This view shows a list of all requesters with active Help Requests grouped together. A traveler may have multiple open Help Requests if multiple Check-in Requests were sent to them, either concurrently or sequentially, and they responded "I need help" to more than one. Viewing cases grouped together allows admins to easily understand a traveler's circumstances and communication history.
Opening a message from either view allows admins to communicate with the traveler. Each conversation will be visible to any admins with the needed permissions.
- A - Tap on the traveler name to open the admin view of the traveler's Profile. From this page, tap "Help Request" > "Mark as Solved" to resolve the case (note: this will resolve all open Help Requests for this traveler).
- B - The phone icon initiates a call to the phone number on the traveler's profile
- C - Admins can send photos, either taking a new photo or selecting from the device camera roll. Photos sent through this functionality are included in the history log in the web interface.
For more information the traveler view of this functionality, see "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App".
To configure the institution emergency contact phone number shown to travelers in the SOS Institutional Contacts, visit AlertTraveler > Settings on the administrative site.
See "AlertTraveler®: Settings" for more on this setting. See "Using the AlertTraveler® Mobile App" article for more information on SOS functionality.
Here are other resources that may interest you: