Terra Dotta Engage provides a suite of options to promote your global engagement opportunities and pave the way for contacts to become applicants. Customize your messaging to communicate effectively with specific audiences, connect recipients with valuable educational programming, and continually improve your outreach strategies using a data-driven approach.
For an index of Engage articles, return to the Engage Table of Contents. This article discusses the following topics related to Settings:
Contact List Management
The Contact List shows an overview of all saved contact lists.
- Name and Description - Fields can be used to filter the list.
- Toggle - Switch between active and inactive lists.
- Arrow circle button - Clear filters.
- + Create List - Create a new list.
- Active toggle - switch a list between active and inactive status
- Pencil - Edit the name and description of a list
- > button - Edit the contacts included on a list
Click on the "+ Create List" button in the upper right corner to open the "List Generator" window.
- Contact List Name - (Required) The name of this list
- Status - Toggle between active and inactive statuses for this list
- Contact List Description - Add comments to describe the list
- Contact List Type - Select the type of contact list to be used
- Manual - Upload a file (see Manual below for more information)
- Analytics - Import data from an analytics report (see Manual below for more information)
- Event Data - Add details about an event linked to this contact list
If a list is built to store attendees of an event, in the List Generator window, click on the "Event Data" toggle to show optional event fields.
All event data fields are optional. The fields available are:
- Event Date
- Information Session
- On-Campus Event
- Off-Campus Event
- Virtual Event
- Estimated Attendance
- Total Attendance
- List Source
- Event Comments
To create a new manual list, open the List Generator window and choose the list type "Manual".
After clicking "Create", the screen will redirect to the Contact List Management screen. Use the name or description search fields to locate the new list, and then click on the > icon on the far right to edit the list.
On the edit page for the contact list, options are available for adding individual contacts or uploading a list.
To add individual contacts, click on the "+ Add Contact" button, and then search for the user to be added. If they are not available already in the system, choose the option "Manually Enter New User" and enter the details for the new contact.
Check the option "Create another contact" to have the interface reopen after a new contact is created. If unchecked, after the new contact is created the modal will close and return to the contact list.
To add a group of contacts, click on "Upload List". This will open an "Upload Contact List" window.
Click on the Download Template button to access an Excel .xlsx file that can be used for uploading contacts. The column headers should be kept with their default labels and order when used:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Preferred Name
The file must be in excel format, and the name can be changed. The Middle Name and Preferred Name fields are optional.
After uploading, a pop-up will show confirming any successful updates and creation. Any errors in the upload process will show as well; click on the prompt to learn more about the error.
Contacts can be added to lists in Engage from reports created in Analytics. This includes data from Study Abroad and ISSS, and the Engage data source of the Student Information System (SIS).
After selecting the SIS data source, click Next. On the second page, Fields, options are available for SIS User ID, SIS User Last Name, SIS User First Name, and SIS User Email, as well as any other SIS Applicant Parameters.
Note: When creating the query, at least one email address field must be selected in order to create a contact list. If the resulting report does not include this field, then attempts to send an email campaign will fail.
After selecting the fields, click "Next" to add any desired filters. For example, in the screenshot below, a filter is being used to narrow the query to those with a major of business.
To save the query, click "Save" in the upper right hand corner. Next, click on the kebob menu on the far right side of the query and choose the option "Create Report". Click "Save" and enter a name to create the report. The report will now be available to find from the List Generator screen when creating contact lists.
For more information, see:
- The Create List section above for how to create a contact list from an Analytics report
- Engage: Analytics for more information on data available through Engage sources
Here are other resources that may interest you: